Monday, July 01, 2013

The best laid plans...

... are totally screwed up when you lose your passport. Packed and ready the night before for my July 1 7:45 a.m. flight, I look on the dresser in my parents' house where I thought I had left my passport and it was no where to be found. With the help of my mother, brother and sister-in-law, my bags, purse and backpack were torn back through, as I tried not to hyperventilate. But alas, no passport could be found. Those of you who follow this blog may remember what I time a had trying to return to Japan the last time I visited the States, so this uncharacteristic loss of important documentation really shouldn't surprise anyone. Apparently I am not meant to ever return to Japan as scheduled.

I am not exactly sure what happened to my passport... I remember setting it aside in what I thought was a safe place so that I could easily find it. But since then I packed up and mailed six boxes of stuff I purchased in the States. I have a feeling that my passport may be in one of those boxes. My very disappointed husband is waiting for three of the boxes to arrive next week to confirm. But three of the boxes were sent parcel post, so they may not arrive for 30-60 days.

Meanwhile, in the past 16 hours, I have made an appointment for Wednesday with the passport office in San Diego, got a copy of my birth certificate (luckily my parents still live in the county I was born in) and got some (very ugly) passport photos taken. Hopefully, I can get an expedited passport in about seven business days.

This meant I also had to reschedule my flight to Japan. Luckily, that was done quickly and relatively inexpensively, so now I am scheduled to leave the States July 18. I hope I have a passport in hand by then. My family is thrilled that I am staying longer, but my lonely husband is not amused. I guess I'll have to make it up to him later.

Now I am trying to recover from an emotional evening and a sleepless night so I can attempt to enjoy my additional days in sunny SoCal. Wish me luck... I'm probably going to need it.

No comments: